The Your Health project is introducing "SEFTON YOUNG CHAMPIONS" This new project is for young people aged 13-21 years old (who live in Sefton) and is a community volunteering project funded by Big Lottery. There are three different ways that you can get involved with the project...
1. Projects with the older community- Set up your own community event/project for older people as a chance to swap skills or just to have a good time.
"I really enjoyed helping out and working at the Feelgood Factory. I would love to come again. Next time I will improve on my waiting skills" Matthew, 16
"I have enjoyed myself, it is very nice to see so many young people helping the elderly people" Mary, GAS Group
2. Health Promotion volunteers- who will work within our existing projects at the Feelgood Factory to help improve the health and well being of the local community. Volunteers can get involved in a range of projects from breastfeeding support, mental health, nutrition and cookery, weight loss, exercise, befriending, shopping squads and more.
" I really enjoyed helping with the Weight Management course, it was great to be able to help people make a great change in their lives" Claire, aged 20
"Getting involved with the exercise classes really helped to put my university course into perspective, volunteering at the Feelgood was a great experience for me" Dan, aged 21
3. "Reach– Up" Course- 13-16 year olds can take part in a 12-week healthy lifestyle course that covers issues from smoking, drinking to healthy cooking and many more. 17-21 year olds can actually get involved with teaching the course. Ideal if you would like to be involved in Youth Work or teaching in the future.
"It made me more confident and I made new friends" Alice, 16
"I've never cooked before, didn't know I could, never thought I would. But I can, and it was even nice" James, 15
Young people can also get involved on the Steering group for this project and tell us what young people want to happen in their local community.
Lynn and Kirsty are available to come and talk to a youth group about getting involved in the project.
By taking part in Your Health, young people get the chance to:
- Improve their people skills
- Get involved in the local community
- Add to their CV
- Improve their health and wellbeing.
It is also possible for volunters to get involved in setting up their own health projects, either at school/college or at our centre. We are also looking for people to be a part of the Your Health Steering Group.
"The project is a great opportunity for young people to gain experience." Tony, 17.
For information about voluntering in the Feelgood Factory please click here.
popshop is back!
WEdnesday 4th June 2014 3.15- 5.15 at the feelgood factory
Popshop is a FREE and CONFIDENTIAL advice and information session around relationships and sexual health. It is for young people aged 13 to 16 but we can give age appropriate information to those younger. We also provide the C-Card Plus Scheme which means we can provide condoms and STI testing. Popshop will be open every other Wednesday from 3.15-5.15 starting 4th June 2014.
For more information call Kirsty on 0151 291 8010
All young people aged 11-16 are welcome!! Every Wednesday 6.00pm-8:00pm at the Feelgood Factory. Every week is something different, cooking, sports, arts and crafts, lifeskills, dance and lots more. If you want some more information or want to book a place at Wednesday Club give Lynn or Kirsty a call on 0151-291-8010.
For further details contact:
Lynn Anderton (0151 291 8023) or Kirsty Garvey (0151 291 8020)